My favorite Lithuanian dish. It literally translates to “cold borscht”, but it tastes nothing like borscht :).
I love the taste, vibrant colour and how easy it is to make it. It’s perfect for summer, but I eat it all year round. Pink colour comes from beetroots and kefir duet. Very simple, you don’t need to cook it and can be done in less than 10 min.
This soup is always served with potatoes; you can bake, mash or boil them.
For 5-6 portions:
- 250g boiled or pickled beets
- bunch of dill
- bunch of spring onions
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (if you using boiled beetroots or you need more of a kick)
- 900ml-1l kefir
- 200-250 ml water
- 180-200g cucumber
- 4-5 boiled eggs
- Chop dill, spring onions and cucumber, add it to a pot.
- Grate beets (if it’s not grated) and add it to the same pot.
- Pour kefir, water, lemon juice and add salt to your preferences. If it’s too thick you can add more kefir or water.
- Mix everything well and you are ready to go. Pour some soup into a bowl add hard boiled egg and serve with hot boiled potatoes.