Another simple and great homemade recipe. Simple ingredients and just a few steps to make an amazing meal. I love to serve it with mashed potatoes, for me it’s the best duet :). If you want a vegan version – don’t add smoked sausage.
From the ingredients below you will get around 4-5 portions.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500 g sauerkraut
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 big carrot, grated
- 200-300g smoked sausages (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150-200 ml water
- black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 bouillon cube
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat olive oil in a deep frying pan or pot (where you will prepare sauerkraut) over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and saute for a couple minutes then add carrots and cook for another few minutes.
- Add sauerkraut, boullion cube, bay leaves and tomato paste. Pour water, mix everything well and cover with a lid and simmer for an hour. If you see that most of a liquid evaporated, pour some water.
- ~15min before sauerkraut ready cook sausages in a separate pan. Add cooked meat to sauerkraut, add salt and pepper to your taste, cover the lid and let it cook until sauerkraut is ready to serve.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.