New week – new cuisine. This week I chose to cook Argentinain dishes. I want to travel there so badly, but for now with pandemic going on my only option is to taste their food :).
Today’s dish fainá is a flatbread that is super popular in Argentina and Uruguay. This flatbread is related to italian farinara and its recipe was brought by italian immigrants. Because it is made of chickpea flour it’s gluten free and with different toppings it can be not only the snack, but also the main dish.
Today’s recipe can be eaten as a main dish. Fainá with chorizo and blue cheese are great alternative to regular pizza. The flavor of chorizo and blue cheese are intense, but they just go perfect together. I am sure that this is not the last time I’m making it, and actually I have a few ideas how I want to prepare it next time.
Ingredients for 3 portions:
- 2 1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 7 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 200g chorizo
- 70-100g blue cheese
- 50g spinach (blanched)
1. Whisk together chickpea flour with the salt, 3 tbsp olive oil, black pepper and water. Set aside for 20 min to let absorb all the water.
2. Heat the oven to 220 C. In a sheet pan with parchment paper spread the batter (it should be a thin layer) and bake for 10-12 min until fainá is golden.
3. Cut chorizo into small pieces and cook it until browned.
4. Remove fainá from the oven and top it with sausage, spinach and blue cheese. Return to the oven for a few min, until the cheese starts to melt.