Somedays I love to cook and I can spend several hours in the kitchen creating something interesting, new and sometimes difficult :). But now, most of the time, I just want quick and simple food.
Di san xian (or Chinese sauteed eggplant, potatoes and bell peppers) is a very easy to make dish. Simple ingredients, gluten free ( if soy that you use is gluten free) and vegan food that is perfect for weeknight dinner.
Di san xian roughly translates to “3 treasures from earth”, main ingredients are common in northern China, where the dish was born.
Ingredients (3 portions):
- 2 eggplants, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 bell pepper, cut into bite size pieces
- ½ cup cornstarch (amount depends on vegetable size)
- oil for stir-frying
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sugar
- Soak eggplants in slightly salted water for 15-30 min. Drain and coat evenly with cornstarch.
- In a small bowl mix sauce ingredients (except together.
- Heat oil in the wok. I used ~4 tbsp oil. Add potatoes into wok and fry until mostly cooked.
- Add eggplants and stir fry them until well cooked, add bell pepper and stir-fry it for 30s. Set all veggies aside.
- If there is excess oil remove it. Pour sesame oil and add garlic with green onion. Cook it until aromatic.
- Pour sauce into wok (mix it before pouring). Boil it, add cooked veggies and stir fry for 1 min.
- Serve over hot rice.